Thursday, October 27, 2011

Sweet Bread Stuffed with Guava and Cheese (Pan Dulce con Guayaba y Queso)




Growing up in Queens, NY and in Tampa, FL we were always surrounded by Colombian bakeries. Whenever we wanted some empanadas or bueñuelos all we had to do was run down to the bakery and indulge!
One of my favorite desserts were the sweet breads stuffed with guava and cheese! yum!!  But in the years that I've been living away from a large Colombian community, I haven't had the luxury of having all this amazing food near me. This is the sole reason why I started to love cooking, recreating the food that I grew up eating on my own has become my goal!
After looking for this recipe everywhere I couldn't find one that was exactly what my memory held, so I came up with this one and I must say...I don't hate it! It's really similar to the bread my parents used to buy and honestly doesn't last more than a couple of days in this house!

Here's what you'll need:  (Makes 2 Loafs)




  • 1 cup warm water
  • 2 1/4 tsp. dry active yeast (1 pkt)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
  • 3 tbsp Olive oil
  • 1 tsp. Almond extract
  • 3 cups all purpose flour (or as needed)
  • Guava
  • Approx. 4 tsp. cream cheese (per loaf)
  • 1 beaten egg for brushing
  • extra sugar to sprinkle on top
  1. In  a large bowl, add yeast to warm water. Let it rest for 5 minutes.
  2. Whisk in egg, sugar, oil and almond extract. Whisk until everything is combined.
  3. Add 2 cups of flour first and combine with your hand.
  4. Sprinkle the rest of the flour on a clean surface and pour dough on top.
  5. Knead for about 10 minutes or until you have a smooth, elastic, semi-sticky dough. (you may not need to use all of the flour. Add little by little to reach the right consistency)
  6. Roll out your dough into a log, and divide in two.
  7. With a rolling pin, roll it out into a rectangle.
  8. Spread with cream cheese (microwave the cream cheese for about 10 seconds. for an easier spread), and top with thin slices of guava.
  9. Roll dough and tuck in the lose sides. Make a few diagonal cuts on top of the roll.
  10. Place on a greased sheet, (I also like to sprinkle the sheet with white corn meal) and cover with a towel. Let the two rolls rest for 45 minutes to an hour near a warm place in your kitchen.
  11. Before baking it brush it with a  mixture of 1 beaten egg with 1/2 tsp.of water and sprinkle a small amount of sugar on top.
  12. Bake it at 350 degrees F. for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Keep your eye on it, it burns pretty fast.
  13. Store it in an air tight container.
There you go!  This is so worth it!!
Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!





Make it and let me know how much you like it!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jackie, What type of guava did you use for the guava/cheese bread? I can't tell if it's fresh, paste or what it is from the pic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in Southern California and unfortunately the only guava I can get here is the paste.
    Hope that helps.
    Thanks for stopping by:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this recipe. It seems really yummy. I going to bake it and let you know how was it.

    ReplyDelete

Please be courteous and respectful with your comments.
xoxo

Pin this!