Monday, August 22, 2011

Arroz con Coca-Cola (Rice cooked in Coca-Cola)



Yes, I know this just sounds  plain weird, it did to me as well when I first heard of it. Since I wasn't actually born in Colombia, there's still a lot of food that I'm not entirely familiar with. But I love learning and finding new recipes!
I first had this at a Quince (Spanish version of a Sweet Sixteen party). I loved it but had no idea what it was made with.  After I got the recipe I couldn't wait to try it! Trust me, it tastes  really good!!

Here's what you need:
1 cup of white long grain rice
1 cup of water
1 cup of coca-cola
1/2 onion, finely chopped
4 green onion stalks, finely chopped (reserve some for garnish if desired)
1 clove of garlic, minced
salt to taste
2 tsp. vegetable oil

Here's what to do:
  1. Add oil to medium sauce pan and saute onions, green onions and garlic.
  2. To the pan add salt,water, coca-cola and rice, cook uncovered on med. high for about 20 mins. or until most of the water has evaporated.
  3. Cover and cook on low for about about 15 more minutes or until rice is soft.
  4. Garnish with chopped green onions if you chose, enjoy!

Pin this!