- 2 cups long grain uncooked rice
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 cloves garlic
- 1 can gandules (pigeon peas)
- 14 oz can tomato sauce
- 3 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of cumin
- 1/2 packet sazon
- Make the sofrito by heating the oil and adding finely chopped onions, cilantro and garlic. Saute until onions are translucent.
- Add the pigeon peas and tomato sauce and let it come to a boil.
- Add the rice and water. Season with salt, pepper, cumin and sazon. Mix it all in and cover the rice.
- Cook over med. heat until the water is absorbed, bring down to a simmer for about 30 minutes or until all the water is absorbed and the rice is soft. Try not to stir too much.
- You can also add ham, bacon, olives or capers. But for a casual dinner at home I like to keep it simple :)
Thanks to cousin Irene for her help!
My hubby on Father's day, He loved the arroz con gandules! After dinner he got to enjoy dessert. I made him a cookie "cake" since he doesn't like real cake!! :)