Saturday, February 19, 2011

Chicken Katsu Curry



Ahh...Chicken Katsu Curry, one of my all time favorite dishes! This is a Japanese style of curry and it's pronounced 'kare'. There are many ways of serving this dish, the most common include chicken or pork, and the sauce made with veggies like onions, tomatoes, carrots and potatoes, But I'll do that some other time, for now let's talk about Coco's style curry that I love so much!
 I had this dish for the first time while living in Japan at a restaurant called Coco's. We became addicted to it instantly! In fact anyone that goes to Japan and goes  there will pretty much tell you the same thing. For us, Coco's was one of those places where you always want to order the same thing, for me it was the chicken katsu curry. It's pretty much just short grain rice (Japanese rice), fried chicken covered in curry sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese. I don't like spicy food that much so I always got mine mild and my husband would get his level 3 or 4, and that was very spicy, even for him! 
They also sell curry in a box to make at home, a friend who went to Japan a few months ago brought us back some and it was awesome having it again!! So if anyone is going to Japan feel free to bring me back some Coco's curry! lol. But, if you're not in Japan you can just buy the boxes of curry they sell in the supermarket, in the Asian aisle. So here I'll show you exactly how I make my curry at home, in an attempt to replicate Coco's curry. 

Here's what you need:


  • 4 pieces of chicken breast halved 
  • 1 cup of all purpose flour
  • 2 eggs beaten
  • 1 1/2 cups of Panko bread crumbs
  • Short grain rice
  • Japanese curry sauce mix
  • Shredded mozzarella cheese










Here's how to do it:
The curry sauce mix will come in a paste.



  


 Break it into smaller pieces.
 Heat your water on medium heat, follow the instructions on the box. This box called for 2 1/2 cups of water.



When the water comes to a boil add your curry paste and let it boil for a few minutes, constantly stirring it. Cover it and let it simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring every now and then.






It will dissolve into a thick sauce.





                                                                          

















Cut your chicken breast in half so that it's not so thick
Coat chicken in flour, then eggs and panko bread crumbs

















When your oil is hot add the breaded chicken and fry until fully cooked. Usually 6-7 minutes on each side, depending on how hot your oil is.

Drain the excess oil on paper towels

Arrange your plate with rice on one side and cut the chicken into strips, place it slightly on top of the rice and drizzle the curry sauce over the chicken. You should end up with a pool of sauce on the other side of the plate.The cheese is optional but I always use it because that's the way we used to order it in Japan.

Dekimashita!
By the way, I just found out that a Coco Ichiban recently opened here in California. I can't wait to try it out, I will definitely be telling you guys about it! 

Pin this!