Monday, January 10, 2011

Happy 2011

Hey Everyone!
First of all Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a great and safe time celebrating the holidays. I haven't been on here in a few days (it feels like forever), but I have a good excuse. 

So let me tell you a little bit of what I've been up to these last few days. We were all vacationing in Fl at our parents house for some time now, and we just got back to California a couple of days ago. It's nice to be back home but I do miss my family a lot. On the other hand I have so much to do at home that  I don't have time to be bored. We have been re-arranging the house and doing some serious cleaning since we hadn't been here. Our little boy is crawling now and we have to get every inch of the house spotless!! I'm a major clean freak and have been working non-stop for my house to look sparkling clean again. It's pretty much done for now (although house work is never really done is it?)lol.

Anyway... we had a lot of fun celebrating the holidays at my parents house. It was the first time spending the holidays there since I got married. My daughter loved being around more family, since it's usually just us.
We ate all the wonderful traditional Colombian food and even had novenas every night. I grew up going to  novenas from the 16th to the 24th of December. As a child we would go to a different house every night and prayed a novena there. The hosting family would have delicious Colombian appetizers eaten around the holidays like buñuelos , empanadas , natilla, arroz con leche and much more. The same family was in charge of it every year and a ton of people came. What it is basically is a set of prayers that we say for nine days straight before Christmas. So each day we would go to a different house and say that day's  prayer, sing some Christmas carols and then eat and mingle. It was actually a lot fun. Since then the family who was in charge of the novenas stopped doing them and no one really took over, so my parents decided to do them with a couple of friends and it was very nice. My daughter loved going to the different houses to sing and play with other little kids. We normally have nativity scenes by the Christmas tree during the novenas and we call them pesebres.

Here are some pictures of the different pesebres an novenas from 2010.


This pesebre is from a friend of ours, Rocio. She made her pesebre in a winter style, very elegant and pretty.



This pesebre is Beatriz's, another friend of ours who we celebrated the novenas with. She made hers the "real" way! lol with small humble homes and a shack for the birth place for baby Jesus.


This was our pesebre. I also made mine with a winter snowy theme. I like making them different every year.


 I drew the background on thick carboard paper




This is another little pesebre we had in another part of the house





Here are a few pictures from the novenas



 some of the food that was served at the novenas



So that's it from me today, I just wanted to share a little bit of how my holidays went. I am very excited about this new year and all of the new projects I will be doing. I hope everyone has a great year!

Happy New Year



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be courteous and respectful with your comments.
xoxo

Pin this!