I love making sugar cookies for the holidays! I have been making so many these past few weeks and I love how creative you can get with them. Experimenting with different flavors and toppings is so much fun for me and I must say my family doesn't seem to mind! lol. Here is a simple recipe that makes chewy and delicious sugar cookies.
Here's what you need:
- 2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon anise extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup softened unsalted butter
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- powdered sugar for rolling out dough and decorating
Here's what to do:
- Beat butter and sugar with electric mixer until combined. Add egg and milk and anise extract, continue to beat.
- In a large bowl sift together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Add flour to butter mixture and continue to beat slowly, 1 cup at a time.
- Place dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for 2 hours.
- Heat your oven to 375 degrees F
- Sprinkle your counter top with powdered sugar and roll out your chilled dough to about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut out your cookie shapes and place on parchment paper about an inch apart.
- Bake for about 9 minutes. Let cool completely before decorating.
- For the topping I melted about 6 oz. of semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1/4 teaspoon of vegetable oil in a water bath and drizzled it onto cookies with a fork. when that was completely cooled I sprinkled the cookies with sifted powdered sugar.
These last for a couple of weeks stored in an air tight container, but lasted about 3 days at home! ;)