Monday, December 27, 2010

Salt Dough Ornaments

I've made salt dough ornaments before but they always seem to rise too much and lose their shape. I finally made some that came out just the way I want them. This year I made a bunch of little sakura or cherry blossoms to hang on our tree. I used a small sakura cookie cutter I got in Japan. they came out pretty cute!

 Here's what you need:
  • 1/2 cup salt
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup water
  • Rolling pin
  • Cookie sheet
  • Toothpick
  • Cookie cutter
  • Acrylic paint
  • Clear acrylic spray paint
  • ribbon or ornament hangers
Here's what to do:
  1. Pre-heat your oven to 250 degrees F
  2. Mix together the salt, flour and water with your hands until elastic and smooth.
  3. Roll out to 1/4" thick.
  4. Cut out your shapes with cookie cutters and place them on parchment paper on your cookie sheet. (use your toothpick to make a whole if you want to hang these on your Christmas tree)
  5. Bake for 2 hours.
  6. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before decorating.
  7. Use acrylic paint to decorate it and let it dry. Spray it with clear acrylic paint for a protective coat.



But you don't have to limit it to just Christmas ornaments, I also made these for my kids. What mom doesn't like having these tiny hand prints?! I love them so much. I used a glitter maker to write down their names and the year, after it dried I sprayed it with clear acrylic paint so that it can last a long time! Hang these on your tree or display them on a shelf, you could even frame it. Either way it's lovely to look at! :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi - I just came across your blog in a google search for ideas for salt dough, and I just have to say that I love this hand-print idea - I'm going to do it this week with my almost 6yr old - she's growing up too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tried this recipe, and my handprints bubbled. any thoughts how to prevent this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. try baking at a lower oven temp...maybe 200 degrees to prevent the bubbling.

    ReplyDelete

Please be courteous and respectful with your comments.
xoxo

Pin this!