Aji literally means chili pepper and we use this aji sauce for empanadas. There are many different varieties but this is a pretty basic recipe. If you're not a spicy food kinda person you don't have to add any chili peppers, the sauce will still taste great. I not a huge fan of spicy food so I only add one, that works for me :)
Here's what you need:
- 2 red chili peppers
- 1 stalk of green onion, finely chopped
- 1 small tomato
- handful of cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- salt to taste
Here's how to do it:
- In a food processor grind the peppers and salt.
- To a bowl add the chopped onion, tomato and cilantro, mix in the oil, lemon juice and vinegar. Add the peppers and mix together.
- Add more peppers if you want it more spicy.