Monday, November 8, 2010

Preserving Tomato Seeds

I've been very interested lately in growing my own fruits and veggies. I really love the idea of cooking with fresh ingredients that I know exactly where they come from. With our moving every few years having an elaborate garden is not exactly ideal, but I can dream can't I? For now all I can do is learn as much as I can about cultivating and grow some small things that I can have indoors and maybe even take with me, and  maybe one day I will have a great big yard where I can grow all kinds of yummy stuff to cook for my family! ;)
I'm learning new things everyday and hope I can share my adventures with you. Let's start with something really small. Preserving tomato seeds for next year. You can save the seeds now and plant them next spring, preferably in one of those upside down tomato planters (at least for me since I can take that with me),but let me not get ahead of myself.  Actually well preserved tomato seeds last up to 50 years, but with every year that goes by they loose potential. I preserved these and will definitely be using them next year. I can not wait!!

Here's what you'll need to ferment the seeds:
1 beautiful tomato
any kind  glass jar ( I used a glass baby food jar)
coffee filter
paper plate
Here's what you'll need to do:
  • Pick out a great tomato, the better looking the tomato the better the seeds.
  • Cut the tomato long ways and scoop out the seeds along with the gel.
  • Place the tomato pulp in a glass jar and fill  with water, enough to cover pulp. Cover jar with coffee filter and let sit for about a week.
  • It will be covered in mold by this time. scoop out the mold and any seeds that have floated to the top.







  • Rinse the rest of the seeds through a strainer.                                     




  • Place the rinsed seeds on a coffee filter and then paper plate. Let completely dry for 2 - 3 days.






  • When completely dry store in a moisture proof container or Ziploc bag. I also stored mine in the freezer.
I hope this inspires you to save your own tomato seeds! :)




I got a ton of great info at Tomato Casual check them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be courteous and respectful with your comments.
xoxo

Pin this!