Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Mango Adventures

I love love love mangoes and always wanted to know how to grow them by seed. I tried a few times before this but it would just take too long and the plant would die pretty fast...there had to be an easier way. I got this idea from Bursting Seed. It has actually worked out really well! I've started like six already :) I'll keep you'll updated on how big they are getting!

Here's what you need:
A ripe mango
Sharp knife
Light towel
Potting soil
A pot

Here's how to do it:
Pick out a nice ripe mango


Let the seed dry out for a day for easier handling



With a sharp knife poke the side of the seed and slowly begin to open it with the knife. Once it has a small opening try to open it with your fingers so that you don't damage the inside. You will find a smaller seed inside.


Wrap it in a small towel and soak it. Rinse the towel and let it dry for about a week. This is what it should look like when you unwrap it.


Plant it in soil and water it every other day. You just want the soil to be moist not soaked. after a few days it should look like this




This one  is 4 weeks old!

These two are 6 weeks old!!


Look out for Mango adventures part 2! ;)

2 comments:

  1. I am so jealous! I am a notorious plant killer. I admire your green thumb!

    ReplyDelete

Please be courteous and respectful with your comments.
xoxo

Pin this!